There is so much advice to think about regarding your career and obtaining your goals. These are some things that people tend to forget about when looking for a job or wanting to advance in their career. Consider trying some of these methods for getting your foot in the door.
1) Apply for a job that interest you even if you don’t think you are completely qualified, such as they ask for three years of experience and you have two. Let the hiring manager decide what criteria are essential and you may end up being one of the better candidates.
2) Following your dreams is usually a good thing, but what if you are interested in something that has dwindling career prospects, such as becoming a journalist? You should seriously consider doing something that will pay the bills or is in a similar industry and will let you do some of the duties of the profession you wanted. You can always work on the things that you are passionate about on the side part-time. You may even get a job offer from all of your hard work that you do during your free time.
3) Learn a second language to make yourself more employable. In today’s global market, everyone is looking to expand. Almost everyone, besides English speaking countries, knows how to speak a second language fluently. Speaking a second language can make you look smarter, respectful of other cultures, and a valuable asset overseas.
4) Apply to organizations that you are interested in even if they are not advertising a position you want. Send in a letter showing your interest in a specific position and how you fit the qualifications as well as your resume and references. They may end up needing someone for that position in the future and see your initiative as something to explore further.
5) If your job is no longer motivating, then you should try adding new responsibilities to your existing position or assisting other departments. If there is no room for you to grow within your organization, then you should think about changing your job. If you are not able to find a suitable job to switch to, it might be time to change industries and get more training or go back to school.
Other interesting articles: