Build the foundation for a career in hospitality with our Hospitality Operations program.
Online and On-Campus Delivery Options may be available!
The Hospitality Operations program is designed to provide students with relevant knowledge, necessary skills and educations, and an understanding of the current trends in the hotel and hospitality industry in order to pursue or enhance employment opportunities. Students will gain first hand operational knowledge of the key centres of a hotel including the front desk, sales & marketing, housekeeping, and revenue management & optimization.
To further reinforce the academic component, students are required to craft employment packages, conduct information interviews, attend employment fairs and participate in a host of research, contact, web based and on line exercises. This program offers AHLA (American Hotel and Lodging Association) certificates as well as computer applications to further enhance career opportunities. Upon successful completion students will earn the following certifications: START Certified Restaurant Server, HFIA Hotel Industry Analytics, AHLEI Rooms Division Specialization, and AHLEI Sales and Marketing Specialization. (70% is required on all AHLEI exams in order to qualify for these certifications).
Why Study At Sprott Shaw?
- Lifetime access to dedicated Employment Services Specialists (ESS) who can help you with resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, and the overall job search after graduation
- Lifetime tuition-free access to course refreshers if you ever need to retrain and update your skills
- Co-op opportunities with recognized organizations across BC including Parq Vancouver, River Rock Casino, Rosewood Hotel Georgia, Best Western Hotels, Delta Hotels, and more
- Multiple start dates so you can start your education when you want to without the wait
- All-inclusive program costs where what you see is what you pay. Our cost includes registration fees, assessment fees, tuition, textbooks, supplies, course materials, uniforms, certificates, graduation fees, co-op fees, and much more
- Career and professional development success courses to help create a career development marketing plan, learn the cardinal rules of professionalism, and identify the target markets and employment resources for the hospitality industry
- Certificates including FOODSAFE, Guest Service Gold, and START Restaurant Service
- Preparation and orientation courses to teach you how to find credible research, write papers, create proper citation formats including APA, and study effectively for exams
- Grant and scholarship opportunities are available to help you save on tuition. Up to $4000 in scholarships and grants are open to recent high school graduates, Sprott Shaw alumni, military veterans, and more! Click here to browse our full list of grants and scholarships
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate leadership competencies
- Evaluate financial information and financial implications related to business decisions
- Provide responsible and professional food and beverage services
- Supervise front-of-the-house and back-of-the-house hotel and restaurant operations
- Manage human relations issues
- Prepare marketing plans and communication strategies
- Analyze emerging hospitality industry trends and innovations
- Apply critical thinking and problem-solving techniques to make sound management decisions and recommendations
- Communicate effectively using various communication channels
Where Are Sprott Shaw Graduates Working?
Our Administration, Legal, and Hospitality graduates can be found working throughout the province. Graduates of our Administration programs are working in a diverse range of locations including the BC Cancer Agency and the Government of Canada.
Graduates of our Veterinary Assistant program can be found in various veterinary clinics such as the Central City Animal Hospital and the Panorama Village Animal Hospital.
Legal graduates can be found working in law firms and legal offices such as the Sea to Sky Law Office and Westside Family Law. Tourism and Hospitality graduates have been hired by Best Western, the Sandman Hotel Group, Grouse Mountain Tourism, and more.
Click below to learn more about where our graduates are currently working. Please note that these lists do not cover every single business that has hired a Sprott Shaw graduate, but they do provide a good representation of the sort of industries that Sprott Shaw graduates are working in.