Have a question? Call 310-hire
TESOL for Test Preparation at Sprott Shaw College is a unique course that not only prepares you for teaching in a niche market – teaching test preparation courses – but also allows for teaching, observing and tutoring in a real test preparation class. The intensive four week program covers the methodology and planning that can be applied to teaching for any standardized English language exam. In addition, the exam-specific sections of the course focus on two of the most important academic tests of English: TOEFL iBT and IELTS Academic. Our program balances methodology and vital exam knowledge, and practical teaching tips with multiple opportunities to practice the skills as they are taught.
The second section of this course consists of a one week practicum (26.5) within test preparation classes; the first portion is spent in a Sprott Shaw College IELTS class and the second portion is spent in a Sprott Shaw College TOEFL class honing students teaching skills and practicing activities and assessment skills and knowledge learning in their previous in class portion of the program, as well as writing in class reports.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will have reliably demonstrated the ability to:
– Teach English proficiency test students, exhibiting both the detailed test knowledge and skill set required to improve their students test scores
– Critically access live and/or recorded test preparation classes
– Share key strategies and IELTS and TOEFL specific question types in an interactive and communicative way
• 1 week practicum
• Learn teaching skills
• Gain a solid understanding of standardized language testing
• Apply teaching methodology
• Understand and apply strategies for teaching the four basic language skills or reading, listening, speaking and writing