Online and On-Campus Delivery Options may be available!
This program is for students who have business foundation skills that are the necessary groundwork for successfully completing medical office administrator certification.
Medical Office Administrators perform a variety of administrative duties in doctors’ offices, hospitals, medical clinics and other medical settings as well as support of managers and professional employers. They are employed in offices throughout the public and private sectors.
Medical Office Administrators type correspondence, reports, invoices and related material from handwritten copy or machine dictation, using a computer. This may include the preparation of presentation materials. They also prepare routine correspondence and compile data, statistics and other information. Some assistants assist committees by taking minutes.
The duties of Medical Administrators also include specialized tasks. They schedule and confirm medical appointments, deliver messages between doctors and patients, type medical records and reports from handwritten notes, and interview patients to complete forms and case histories. They also make sure doctors get paid, by completing insurance as well as other claim forms and handling billing procedures. They may order medical supplies as well as regular office supplies. It should be noted that medical assistants are very often referred to as medical office secretaries, and related training programs in this province may also use that title.
A typing speed of 50-65 words per minute may also be required for employment.
Changes in technology, such as the increasing use of electronic medical records (EMR), means these workers must be comfortable adapting to new software programs. Some employers may require specialized training in EMR systems.
To provide comprehensive training for students to serve their community by supporting administrative procedures in a healthcare setting.
The program aims for students to graduate with professional medical office administration skills gained through experiential learning. We strive for our graduates to care for diverse communities in an ethical, compassionate, and respectful manner.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Manage and coordinate the scheduling of appointments
- Compile patients’ charts
- Transcribe physicians’ orders
- Prepare birth and/or death certificates
- Record vital signs
- Receiving new patients
- Collecting patient records
Why Get Your Medical Office Administrator Certification at Sprott Shaw?
- Lifetime access to dedicated Employment Services Specialists (ESS) who can help you with resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, and the overall job search after graduation
- Lifetime tuition-free access to course refreshers if you ever need to retrain and update your skills
- Practicum opportunities with recognized organizations across BC
- Multiple start dates so you can start your education when you want to without the wait
- Career and professional development success courses to help create a career development marketing plan, learn the cardinal rules of professionalism, and identify the target markets and employment resources in the counselling field
- Preparation and orientation courses to teach you how to find credible research, write papers, create proper citation formats including APA, and study effectively for exams
- All-inclusive program costs where what you see is what you pay. Our costs include registration fees, assessment fees, tuition, textbooks, supplies, course materials, uniforms, certificates, graduation fees, practicum fees, and much more
- Grant and scholarship opportunities are available to help you save on tuition. Up to $4000 in scholarships and grants are open to recent high school graduates, Sprott Shaw alumni, military veterans, and more! Click here to browse our full list of grants and scholarships.
- “The best experience of my life! Sprott Shaw brought me back to life. They noticed my strengths and weaknesses and helped me build from that.” – Natasha B.
- “Everyone I met at Sprott Shaw was like my extended family – all the staff are encouraging and friendly. I always felt safe and welcomed, even by the teachers I didn’t have.” – Adrienne L.
Where Are Sprott Shaw Graduates Working?
Our Health Care, Nursing and Dental graduates can be found working throughout the province. In addition to health authorities across BC, our Practical Nursing and Health Care Assistant graduates are working at recognized hospitals like Vancouver General Hospital, Surrey Memorial Hospital, Chilliwack General Hospital, Kelowna General Hospital, Victoria General Hospital, and more.
Our Dental Assistant graduates can be found working at a variety of dental clinics throughout the province such as Family Care Dental Clinic, Heavenly Dental, NOVO Dental Centre, and more. Our Pharmacy Assistants can be found working in Walmart Pharmacies, Rexall Pharmacies, and numerous other independent pharmacies throughout BC.
Click below to learn more about where our graduates are currently working. Please note that these lists do not cover every single business that has hired a Sprott Shaw graduate, but they do provide a good representation of the sort of industries that Sprott Shaw graduates are working in.