A Pharmacy Assistant helps licensed Pharmacists provide medication and other health care products to patients. Pharmacy Assistants usually perform routine tasks to help prepare prescribed medication, such as counting tablets and labelling bottles. They also perform administrative duties, such as answering phones, stocking shelves, and operating cash registers. Pharmacy Assistants refer any questions regarding prescriptions, drug information, or health matters to a pharmacist. CPR, First Aid and WHMIS will be completed during the program.
In large pharmacies and health-systems, pharmacy assistants with significant training, experience and certification can be promoted to supervisory positions, mentoring and training pharmacy assistants with less experience. Some may advance into specialty positions such as chemotherapy assistants and nuclear pharmacy assistants. Others move into sales. This program gives the student the necessary skills to be competitive in this exciting field.
Pharmacy Assistant Program Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Assist licensed pharmacists in providing medication and other health care products to patients
- Perform tasks to help prepare prescribed medications, such as counting tablets and labelling bottles
- Perform administrative tasks such as answering phones, stocking shelves and receiving payments
Why Study To Be a Pharmacy Assistant At Sprott Shaw?
- Lifetime access to dedicated Employment Services Specialists (ESS) who can help you with resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, and the overall job search after graduation
- Lifetime tuition-free access to course refreshers if you ever need to retrain and update your skills
- Practicum opportunities with recognized organizations across BC
- Multiple start dates so you can start your education when you want to without the wait
- Career and professional development success courses to help create a career development marketing plan, learn the cardinal rules of professionalism, and identify the target markets and employment resources in the counselling field
- Preparation and orientation courses to teach you how to find credible research, write papers, create proper citation formats including APA, and study effectively for exams
- All-inclusive program costs where what you see is what you pay. Our costs include registration fees, assessment fees, tuition, textbooks, supplies, course materials, uniforms, certificates, graduation fees, practicum fees, and much more