Once you have graduated from one of Sprott Shaw’s over 130 programs, you still have to interview to get the job of your dreams. Here are some interview tips we have for you!
Job Interview Things to Do
- Take a practice run to the location or know exactly where it is and how long it takes to get there.
- Research and practice for the interview.
- Dress the part of the job, company, or industry.
- Plan to arrive 10-15 minutes early. Late arrival for a job interview is never excusable. If running late, do phone the company.
- Make a first impression once you enter the building. Yes, even with the receptionist or assistant.
- Fill out your job applications neatly, completely and accurately.
- Bring an extra resume.
- Greet the interviewers by title and last name. If you’re not sure how to pronounce their names, ask the receptionist before going into the interview.
- Shake hands firmly with the interviewers.
- Maintain eye contact.
- Showcase your skills and talents by providing examples.
- Show off the research you conducted about the company or industry.
- Turn off your phone.
- Ask intelligent questions.
- Try to get the business card or complete contact information of the interviewer to send thank you letters within 24 hours after the interview.
Job Interview Things to Not Do
- Fidget or slouch.
- Tell jokes.
- Use poor language, slang, and pause words (such as “like,” “uh,” and “um’).
- Say anything negative about former colleagues, supervisors, or employers.
- Lie. Answer questions truthfully, frankly and succinctly.
- Answer questions with a simple “yes” or “no.” Explain whenever possible.
- Bring up personal or family issues.
- Answer mobile phone calls during the interview.
- Inquire about the compensation package until after you receive a job offer.