Sprott Shaw College is an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Designated Learning Institution. To apply for a study permit, you will need to include the Designated Learning Institution number (DLI #), which is the number that begins with the letter “O”, on your application form.

Our DLI# is O19278865162 and is registered with our Head Office in Burnaby, British Columbia.

For more information about the DLI, visit https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html.

Before you can apply to enter Canada as an international student, you must show proof that you have been accepted by Sprott Shaw College. If you are not a permanent resident or citizen of Canada and plan to study in Canada for more than six months, you will need a study permit.

For information about country-specific visa applications, study/work permits, visa extensions, and more, please choose one of the links below from the Government of Canada’s website:

Important Links

Travelling to Canada

Canadians are famous for their kindness and welcoming attitude – this is exactly what students will receive when they are greeted by the members of their homestay family. We run a series of background and reference checks for host families in our database to ensure a perfect match between you and your homestay family.

Students are required to submit a homestay application form and arrangement fee at least two weeks prior to arriving in Canada. This will allow sufficient time for matching students and their homestay family as well as allow us to send students all of their homestay information ahead of time.

The Vancouver International Airport (YVR) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) are piloting the new Voluntary Compliance Portal (VC Portal) for Sprott Shaw College students. Learn more about it here.

Arriving in Canada

Our student service centre offers airport pickup for international students. A student services representative will welcome you at the airport and escort you to your host family. To use this service, simply send your flight information at least two weeks prior to arrival in Canada.

All students are required to have medical insurance for the duration of their studies at Sprott Shaw College. International students must obtain Private Medical Insurance for at least their first three months in BC before receiving a BC provincial Medical Services Plan (MSP) coverage. We will help students submit the MSP application shortly after arrival in BC.

Important: The content of the above links has been directed from the official Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website. Sprott Shaw College will not be responsible for the accuracy and any changes in the information at any point in time.

Graduates are not eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). Issuing Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWP) for international students is the responsibility of the Federal Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Only international students who have graduated from programs of 8+ months at public post-secondary institutions or degree programs at authorized institutions are eligible to apply for a PGWP.  For more information, visit the IRCC website

sidebar image


See All Success Stories
We'd love to connect with you to help you become a Sprott Shaw graduate. Visit a campus, request info or apply today.
Request Info Apply Now

Affiliations and Associations

Contact an Admissions Advisor for More Information Today!