How Can We Help?
Getting Started with VitalSource
VitalSource BookShelf is an application students can use to store and read their eTextbooks. It can be used online, or the app can be downloaded onto any device such as a laptop, tablet or phone; giving students offline access to textbooks anywhere they go.
VitalSource Bookshelf is more than just a place to read eTextbooks. You can also: create Flashcards, highlight important passages, take notes and share them with friends. Bookshelf will even read the textbook to you. Unlike a paper copy, you can also summarize all of your important notes into a few pages making it much easier to review and study. Need to create an APA Citation for the book you are reading? It will even do that for you.
To get started:
- Students must create an online account.
- Go to https://vitalsource.com
- Click the “SIGN IN” button on the top left
- Click on the “New To VitalSource? Create an account” link at the bottom
- Fill in the information. We recommend using your @mysprottshaw.com email address. Record your password in a spot you will remember.
- Once you have created your account, you can start to fill your bookshelf by redeeming codes.
- In the top right corner, click the icon with the triangle and ruler.
- From the drop-down, select “Redeem Codes”
- The person responsible for textbooks will have provided you with the code for your eTextbook. Copy and paste that code into the window which opens.
3. You can now start to read your textbook by clicking the picture which appears under the heading My Books.
4. To download the app, click on the icon with 9 dots (the waffle iron). Select the “Download” button and choose the correct device you are installing on.
Here are some of the more common things you might want to do: