On behalf of all of us here at Sprott Shaw, we wanted to let you know what we are doing to keep our students and staff safe. We recognize how this time can be challenging for everyone, so our hope for you is that you are reaching out to your networks for support, educating yourselves on the facts around Covid-19 and practicing good self-care, both for your physical and mental health.
During the break at all campuses, the staff have been working tirelessly to clean and disinfect everything, so when the time comes for all students and staff to return, the campus is clean and safe. We have also been working on ways to support the continuation of your education during this time of social distancing and self-isolation.
As you may have read on our website https://sprottshaw.com/my-sprottshaw/covid-19/, Sprott Shaw is transitioning to alternative learning plans as of Monday, March 23rd.
What this means for all students is that the physical campus will not be reopened to students on Monday. Instead, we are moving temporarily to an online delivery model. The campus will have all staff here to support you via phone, email and WebEx for any questions or concerns you may have.
I would like to provide you with the details of what your alternative learning will look like:
For your program:
- As of Monday, your class will be running via WebEx which will be a virtual class
- Scheduling for your class time will remain the same. (Normal attendance hours are required. Your login time will be recorded).
- Your instructor will be conducting your lecture via video.
- As a student, you will be able to interact live just as you would in a classroom – but from the comfort of your own home
- Webex invitations will be sent out by the end of this week for your upcoming classes.
- Assignments and projects will be submitted via email or G2.
What you will need:
- Access to a laptop, desktop computer or tablet
- Headphones with Mic
- Internet access
- If you do not have access to a computer with internet please contact your director asap.
Textbooks for future courses:
- Your campus admin will be in contact with each class to schedule textbook pickup for upcoming courses.
- Please keep a close eye on your emails.
Lastly, all of us here at Sprott Shaw want you to know that we are here for you. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to call or email the campus as we will be happy to assist. We are doing our best to ensure that your education and training is not impacted significantly by working with our industry partners, practicum hosts as well as affiliations. Your health and wellbeing come first and foremost, especially during this time so please do follow the advise from your Public Health advisories and the CDC. The MySSP app is available to all students. So if you are experiencing concern, anxiety about our current situation whether that be the alternative delivery model or the Covid-19 virus please do reach out.
Remember to have compassion for yourself and others during this time, together we will get through is.
For more information on COVID-19 including FAQs and current information, please see:
A follow-up email will be sent to you before the end of this week containing details on:
Technical requirements> This is about how to download the software and how to log in
Protocols> This is about what behavior is and is not acceptable. Netiquette (net + etiquette) is the “code of conduct” that we will be applying
Communication> This is about how we will be conveying important pieces of information like assignments and deadlines. And how we will be handling general communication in and out of class time
Support> This will include all details related to everything from hotlines for technical support through to additional academic and student counselling.
Your well-being and quality education remain our priority.