The academic component of this program is designed to provide students with the relevant knowledge, necessary skills and educations, and an understanding of the current trends in the hotel and hospitality industry in order to pursue or enhance employment opportunities. Students will gain first-hand operational knowledge of the key centres of a hotel including the front desk, sales & marketing, housekeeping, and revenue management & optimization.
To further reinforce the academic component, students are required to craft employment packages, conduct information interviews, attend employment fairs and participate in a host of research, contact, web-based and online exercises. Both the academic and practical components are designed to prepare the student for their co-op (paid practicum). This program offers AHLA (American Hotel and Lodging Association) certificates as well as computer applications to further enhance career opportunities.
Upon successful completion, students will earn the following certifications: START Certified Restaurant Server, HFIA Hotel Industry Analytics, AHLEI Rooms Division Specialization, and AHLEI Sales and Marketing Specialization. (70% is required on all AHLEI exams in order to qualify for these certifications).
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate leadership competencies
- Evaluate financial information and financial implications related to business decisions
- Provide responsible and professional food and beverage services
- Supervise front-of-the-house and back-of-the-house hotel and restaurant operations
- Manage human relations issues
- Prepare marketing plans and communication strategies
- Analyze emerging hospitality industry trends and innovations
- Apply critical thinking and problem-solving techniques to make sound management decisions and recommendations
- Communicate effectively using various communication channels