Pursue a career working with animals with Sprott Shaw’s Veterinary Assistant Program
Online and On-Campus Delivery Options may be available!
A Veterinary Assistant (VA) cares for animals under the supervision of a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or Animal Health Technologist (AHT). They perform a multitude of tasks including: feeding, medicating and prepping of patients as well as restraining them during examinations, procedures and treatments.
The Veterinary Assistant diploma program equips students with the technical knowledge and hands-on skills to provide an extensive range of animal care services for both the office and clinical settings of either general practice (GP), emergency (ER), and specialty veterinary hospitals. Additional employment opportunities for graduates include but are not limited to: animal rehabilitation, animal control centers, research facilities and pharmaceutical representatives.
Throughout the program, students will receive specialized training in eight key areas: animal restraint, nutrition, pharmacology, clinical nursing, human relations, administration, diseases, and prevention.
This program includes field day labs in addition to a practicum placement so students can gain relevant hands-on training and practical experience before graduation.
Why Study at Sprott Shaw?
- Lifetime access to dedicated Employment Services Specialists (ESS) who can help you with resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, and the overall job search after graduation
- Lifetime tuition-free access to course refreshers if you ever need to retrain and update your skills
- Practicum opportunities with recognized organizations across BC including the Animal Emergency Clinic of the Fraser Valley, Island Veterinary Hospital, Garden City Veterinary Hospital, Lifetime Veterinary Clinic, and much more
- Multiple start dates so you can start your education when you want to without the wait
- All-inclusive program costs where what you see is what you pay. Our cost includes registration fees, assessment fees, tuition, textbooks, scrubs, graduation fees, practicum fees, and much more
- Preparation and orientation courses to teach you how to find credible research, write papers, create proper citation formats including APA, and study effectively for exams
- Career and professional development success courses to help create a career development marketing plan, learn the cardinal rules of professionalism, and identify the target markets and employment resources for the veterinary field
- Grant and scholarship opportunities are available to help you save on tuition. Up to $4000 in scholarships and grants are open to recent high school graduates, Sprott Shaw alumni, military veterans, and more! Click here to browse our full list of grants and scholarships.
Veterinary Assistant Learning Objectives
Upon completion of the Veterinary Assistant program, students will be able to:
- Promote good health by discussing preventive measures for their pet with clientele
- Demonstrate knowledge of vaccinations and parasite control
- Handle and restrain companion animals safely
- Understand basic veterinary terminology with applications to anatomy, physiology, and diseases
- Demonstrate familiarity with common surgical procedures
- Discuss important pre-operative and post-operative instructions
- Identify with common feline and canine breeds
- Perform all aspects relating to receptionist duties, including scheduling
- Assisting during the following: taking x-rays, anesthesia, blood draws, catheterization, dentals and surgical procedures
Learn more about becoming a Veterinary Assistant
Where Are Sprott Shaw Graduates Working?
Our Administration, Legal, and Hospitality graduates can be found working throughout the province. Graduates of our Administration programs are working in a diverse range of locations including the BC Cancer Agency and the Government of Canada.
Graduates of our Veterinary Assistant program can be found in various veterinary clinics such as the Central City Animal Hospital and the Panorama Village Animal Hospital.
Legal graduates can be found working in law firms and legal offices such as the Sea to Sky Law Office and Westside Family Law. Tourism and Hospitality graduates have been hired by Best Western, the Sandman Hotel Group, Grouse Mountain Tourism, and more.
Click below to learn more about where our graduates are currently working. Please note that these lists do not cover every single business that has hired a Sprott Shaw graduate, but they do provide a good representation of the sort of industries that Sprott Shaw graduates are working in.
- “I chose Sprott Shaw because not only was the staff extremely helpful at answering any of my questions, but the fact that I can go back and refresh any of my learning from my classes is what really sold me.” – Kaitlyn S.