Start learning from home today with Summer classes!
We know it’s a challenging time, but you don’t have to put your life on hold. At Sprott Shaw, new and incoming students can register through our online admissions process and start learning online with many of our programs. Through remote “face-to-face” instructor-led classes, students can experience interactive learning in the comfort and safety of their own homes. Contact us to learn more.
Veterinary Assistant graduates are qualified to provide an extensive range of animal care services for both the office and the clinical settings of Veterinary Hospitals. This program emphasizes animal restraint, nutrition, pharmacology, clinical nursing, human relations, administration, diseases and prevention. Veterinary Assistant students are involved in hands-on training within veterinary hospitals.
This program includes a practicum placement. This experience within a workplace enables Instructional staff to observe the student in a practice situation while providing the student with the opportunity to gain direct exposure to the chosen career field.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Schedule appointments
- Perform receptionist and bookkeeping duties
- Identify common small animal breeds
- Handle and restrain animals safely
- Promote good health by performing basic grooming skills
- Demonstrate knowledge of parasite control
- Understand basic veterinary terminology with applications to anatomy, physiology and diseases
- Demonstrate familiarity with common surgical procedures
- Discuss important homecare instructions
- Assist veterinary technologist during the following: taking Xrays, administering anesthesia and during dental and surgical procedures