Paralegals are indispensable members of any legal team. The paralegal program provides the training necessary to help in any law office: keyboarding, transcription and computer skills, and a variety of legal subject areas from core modules including Real Estate Law, Criminal Law, Litigation, and Family Law to specialized areas such as Aboriginal Land Title, Canadian Immigration Law, and Intellectual Property Law.
Paralegal Program graduates will be well prepared to help a wide range of law offices. This program includes practicum placement.
This experience within a workplace enables Instructional staff to observe the student in a practice situation while providing the student with the opportunity to gain direct exposure to the chosen career field.
Paralegal Program Learning Objectives
Upon completion of the paralegal program, students will be able to demonstrate knowledge in the following areas:
- Transcription, computer skills and proper typing techniques
- Fundamental principles of law
- Specialized training in Real Estate Law, Litigation, Conveyancing, Corporate Law, Criminal Law, Family Law and Estates
- Specialized training in Aboriginal Land Title, Canadian
- Immigration Law and Intellectual Property Law
- Criminal Offences and Court Procedures
- Torts and Defenses
Why Take The Paralegal Program At Sprott Shaw?
- Lifetime access to dedicated Employment Services Specialists (ESS) who can help you with resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, and the overall job search after graduation
- Lifetime tuition-free access to course refreshers if you ever need to retrain and update your skills
- Practicum opportunities with recognized organizations across BC
- Multiple start dates so you can start your education when you want to without the wait
- Career and professional development success courses to help create a career development marketing plan, learn the cardinal rules of professionalism, and identify the target markets and employment resources in the counselling field
- Preparation and orientation courses to teach you how to find credible research, write papers, create proper citation formats including APA, and study effectively for exams
- All-inclusive program costs where what you see is what you pay. Our costs include registration fees, assessment fees, tuition, textbooks, supplies, course materials, uniforms, certificates, graduation fees, practicum fees, and much more