Change lives and make a difference with our Mental Health and Addictions Care Worker program
Online and On-Campus Delivery Options may be available!
Our Mental Health and Addictions Care Worker program equips students with the theoretical and practical knowledge and skills needed for a challenging but rewarding career in this field. The program focuses on developing group facilitation skills as well as one-on-one counselling skills.
Mental health and addictions care workers prepare and conduct prevention planning and support programs for some of society’s most vulnerable groups.
During the program, students will learn the principal concepts in addictions, pharmacology, and structured relapse prevention planning through hands-on case studies.
Students will also gain first-hand skills in addictions intake, assessment, motivational interviewing, and treatment planning – all with a strong emphasis on case management and professional ethics.
This program includes a practicum placement opportunity so students can gain relevant work experience before graduation.
Mental Health and Addictions Care Worker Learning Objectives
- Demonstrate knowledge of abnormal behaviour, therapeutic processes and appropriate treatment and prevention strategies
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Addiction Worker’s role and responsibilities in terms of legal and ethical parameters
- Demonstrate knowledge of the practical skills that fall within the Addiction Workers’ scope of practice for British Columbia
- Demonstrate professionalism and the ability to communicate and work collaboratively with others in the field
- Apply knowledge, skills and ethical care for clients and the community with regards to therapeutic techniques and working with vulnerable people
Why Study at Sprott Shaw?
- Career and professional development success courses to help create a career development marketing plan, learn the cardinal rules of professionalism, and identify the target markets and employment resources for the community support field
- Preparation and orientation courses to teach you how to find credible research, write papers, create proper citation formats including APA, and study effectively for exams
- All-inclusive program costs where what you see is what you pay. Our costs include registration fees, assessment fees, tuition, textbooks, supplies, course materials, graduation fees, practicum fees, and much more
- Access to dedicated Employment Services Specialists (ESS) who can help you with resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, and the overall job search after graduation
- Certificates including Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (NVCI), First-Aid, and WHMIS
- Practicum opportunities with recognized organizations across BC including the Canadian Mental Health Association, Salvation Army, Positive Living Society BC, YMCA, posAbilities Association of BC, Hope for Freedom Society, Union Gospel Mission, John Howard Society, and more
- Multiple start dates so you can start your education when you want to without the wait
- Grant and scholarship opportunities are available to help you save on tuition. Up to $4000 in scholarships and grants are open to recent high school graduates, Sprott Shaw alumni, military veterans, and more! Click here to browse our full list of grants and scholarships.
Where Are Sprott Shaw Graduates Working?
Our Early Childhood, Education, and Support graduates can be found working throughout the province. In addition to school districts across BC, our Early Childhood Education and Education Assistant graduates can be found working at daycares and preschools such as CEFA Early Learning and the Boys and Girls Club.
Community Support Workers and Mental Health and Addiction workers can be found working in women’s shelters, mental health and addiction recovery facilities, homeless shelters, and more.
Click below to learn more about where our graduates are currently working. Please note that these lists do not cover every single business that has hired a Sprott Shaw graduate, but they do provide a good representation of the sort of industries that Sprott Shaw graduates are working in.
Related Programs at Sprott Shaw College