This is the extended Community support worker program aimed at students who wish to focus on the social service aspects of the role with the addition of courses directed towards counselling techniques for children and adults, and training in Palliative care.
Community Support Worker- Social Services graduates are provided with the skills to:
- Administer and implement social assistance programs and community services
- Assist clients in dealing with personal and social problems
- Interview clients to obtain case histories and background information
- Prepare intake reports
- Assess clients’ progress
- Refer clients to other social services when necessary
- Assist in evaluating the effectiveness of treatment programs
- Maintain good working relationships with other social service agencies
This program includes two practicum placements. This experience within a workplace enables Instructional staff to observe the student in a practice situation while providing the student with the opportunity to gain direct exposure to the chosen career field.