The Executive Medical Office Administrator diploma program has been developed to meet the needs of today’s companies focusing on MS Office, Sage 50 (Simply) Accounting, and Document Efficiencies, communication, and training in the areas of digital marketing (including social media), human resources, and travel/event planning.
In addition to office administration, the duties of an Executive Medical Office Administrator also include specialized tasks. They schedule and confirm medical appointments, deliver messages between doctors and patients, type medical records and reports from handwritten notes, and interview patients to complete forms and case histories. They also make sure doctors get paid, by completing insurance as well as other claim forms and handling billing procedures. They may order medical supplies as well as regular office supplies. It should be noted that medical assistants are very often referred to as medical office secretaries, and related training programs in this province may also use that title.
A typing speed of 50-65 words per minute may also be required for employment. Changes in technology, such as the increasing use of electronic medical records (EMR), means these workers must be comfortable adapting to new software programs. Some employers may require specialized training in EMR systems.
This program includes a practicum placement. This experience within a workplace enables Instructional staff to observe the student in a practice situation while providing the student with the opportunity to gain direct exposure to the chosen career field.
- Type correspondence and reports from handwritten copy or dictation
- Prepare presentation materials, compile data and research statistics
- Attend committee meetings and take minutes
- Schedule and confirm medical appointments
- Deliver messages between doctors and patients
- Type medical reports from handwritten notes
- Interview patients to complete forms and to obtain case histories
- Complete insurance and claim forms
- Perform billing procedures
- Order medical and office supplies