Online and On-Campus Delivery Options may be available!
A Pharmacy Assistant helps licensed Pharmacists provide medication and other health care products to patients. Pharmacy Assistants usually perform routine tasks to help prepare prescribed medication, such as counting tablets and labelling bottles. They also perform administrative duties, such as answering phones, stocking shelves, and operating cash registers. Pharmacy Assistants refer any questions regarding prescriptions, drug information, or health matters to a pharmacist. CPR, First Aid and WHMIS will be completed during the program.
In large pharmacies and health-systems, pharmacy assistants with significant training, experience and certification can be promoted to supervisory positions, mentoring and training pharmacy assistants with less experience. Some may advance into specialty positions such as chemotherapy assistants and nuclear pharmacy assistants. Others move into sales. This program gives the student the necessary skills to be competitive in this exciting field.
Pharmacy Assistant Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Assist licensed pharmacists in providing medication and other health care products to patients
- Perform tasks to help prepare prescribed medications, such as counting tablets and labelling bottles
- Perform administrative tasks such as answering phones, stocking shelves and receiving payments
Why Study To Be a Pharmacy Assistant At Sprott Shaw?
- Lifetime access to dedicated Employment Services Specialists (ESS) who can help you with resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, and the overall job search after graduation
- Lifetime tuition-free access to course refreshers if you ever need to retrain and update your skills
- Practicum opportunities with recognized organizations across BC
- Multiple start dates so you can start your education when you want to without the wait
- Career and professional development success courses to help create a career development marketing plan, learn the cardinal rules of professionalism, and identify the target markets and employment resources in the counselling field
- Preparation and orientation courses to teach you how to find credible research, write papers, create proper citation formats including APA, and study effectively for exams
- All-inclusive program costs where what you see is what you pay. Our costs include registration fees, assessment fees, tuition, textbooks, supplies, course materials, uniforms, certificates, graduation fees, practicum fees, and much more
- Grant and scholarship opportunities are available to help you save on tuition. Up to $4000 in scholarships and grants are open to recent high school graduates, Sprott Shaw alumni, military veterans, and more! Click here to browse our full list of grants and scholarships.
Where Are Sprott Shaw Graduates Working?
Our Health Care, Nursing and Dental graduates can be found working throughout the province. In addition to health authorities across BC, our Practical Nursing and Health Care Assistant graduates are working at recognized hospitals like Vancouver General Hospital, Surrey Memorial Hospital, Chilliwack General Hospital, Kelowna General Hospital, Victoria General Hospital, and more.
Our Dental Assistant graduates can be found working at a variety of dental clinics throughout the province such as Family Care Dental Clinic, Heavenly Dental, NOVO Dental Centre, and more. Our Pharmacy Assistants can be found working in Walmart Pharmacies, Rexall Pharmacies, and numerous other independent pharmacies throughout BC.
Click below to learn more about where our graduates are currently working. Please note that these lists do not cover every single business that has hired a Sprott Shaw graduate, but they do provide a good representation of the sort of industries that Sprott Shaw graduates are working in.