Our Health Care Assistant program includes hands-on acute, hospice, and palliative care training and certification
assistants are valued and important members of the healthcare team who promote
and maintain the health, safety, independence, comfort, and well-being of
The Health Care Assistant (HCA) diploma program equips students with the hands-on skills and knowledge to function effectively as front-line caregivers in community and facility settings. Under the direction and supervision of a health care professional, graduates will be able to provide person-centred care that promotes and maintains the physical, emotional, spiritual, cognitive, and social well-being of patients.
Throughout the program, students will receive the following forms of training:
- Basic and advanced hospice and
palliative care training and certification
- Acute care skills training and
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (NVCI)
training and certification
- Introduction to Resident Assessment Instrument (RAI-MDS 2.0) Observation
Tool training and certification
- Standard First Aid with CPR-C/AED
training and certification
- FoodSafe training and
- WHMIS training and certification
- Student Practice Education Core
Orientation (SPECO) training
Why Study at Sprott Shaw?
- All-inclusive program costs where what you see is what you pay. Our costs include registration fees, assessment fees, tuition, textbooks, supplies, course materials, uniforms, certificates, graduation fees, clinical and practicum fees, and much more
- Career and professional development success courses to help create a career development marketing plan, learn the cardinal rules of professionalism, and identify the target markets and employment resources for the healthcare industry
- Preparation and orientation courses to teach you how to find credible research, write papers, create proper citation formats including APA, and study effectively for exams
- Certificates including Standard First Aid with CPR-C/AED, FoodSafe, WHMIS, and Nonviolent Crisis Intervention
- Access to dedicated Employment Services Specialists (ESS) who can help you with resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, and the overall job search after graduation
- Monthly intake system so you can start your education when you want to without the wait
- Clinical and practicum opportunities with health authorities across BC including Provincial Health Services Authority, Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health Authority, Island Health, Northern Health, and Interior Health Authority
- Grant and scholarship opportunities are available to help you save on tuition. Up to $4000 in scholarships and grants are open to recent high school graduates, Sprott Shaw alumni, military veterans, and more! Click here to browse our full list of grants and scholarships.
- Provides person-centred care and assistance that recognizes and respects the uniqueness of each individual client
- Uses an informed problem-solving approach to provide care and assistance that promotes the physical, psychological, social, cognitive and/or spiritual well-being of clients and families
- Provides care and assistance for clients experiencing complex health challenges
- Provides care and assistance for clients experiencing cognitive and/or mental health challenges
- Interacts with other members of the healthcare team in ways that contribute to effective working relationships and the achievement of goals
- Communicate clearly and accurately in sensitive situations with patients and families within a variety of community and facility contexts
- Provides personal care and assistance in a safe, competent and organized manner
- Recognizes and responds to own self-development, learning and health-enhancement needs
- Performs the care provider role in a reflective, responsible, accountable and professional/ethical manner
Introduction to Acute Care Skills
In our “Introduction to Acute Care Skills” course, our curriculum includes all of the basic introductory acute care and medication administration assistance concepts included in the HCA BC provincial curriculum. After successful completion of our Health Care Assistant diploma program, you will also receive completion certificates for “Introduction to Acute Care Skills” and “Medication Administration Assistance.”
BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry
The BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry reviews and recognizes Health Care Assistant programs in BC to ensure that they are: following the provincial curriculum, implementing a common set of training standards, and graduating competent front-line health care providers. Confirming that health care assistants meet registration requirements is integral to the Registry’s mandate of patient protection and improved standards of care.
Graduates of the HCA program delivered by Sprott Shaw College are eligible for registration with the BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry to demonstrate their competence and credentials to work for publicly funded employers in BC.
- “The course hours worked well for me as a parent and my instructors were amazing and passionate about providing holistic individualized care and creating a healthy work environment.” – Amy J.
- “I loved every moment of my time with Sprott Shaw! Everyone who works on the campus is just amazing.” – Lindsey S.
- “I have always had a passion for helping others as well as for working in the medical field. The HCA program gave me the opportunity to grow my skills and take on a more hands-on role in helping people.” – Kelsey W.
Where Are Sprott Shaw Graduates Working?
Our Health Care, Nursing and Dental graduates can be found working throughout the province. In addition to health authorities across BC, our Practical Nursing and Health Care Assistant graduates are working at recognized hospitals like Vancouver General Hospital, Surrey Memorial Hospital, Chilliwack General Hospital, Kelowna General Hospital, Victoria General Hospital, and more.
Our Dental Assistant graduates can be found working at a variety of dental clinics throughout the province such as Family Care Dental Clinic, Heavenly Dental, NOVO Dental Centre, and more. Our Pharmacy Assistants can be found working in Walmart Pharmacies, Rexall Pharmacies, and numerous other independent pharmacies throughout BC.
Click below to learn more about where our graduates are currently working. Please note that these lists do not cover every single business that has hired a Sprott Shaw graduate, but they do provide a good representation of the sort of industries that Sprott Shaw graduates are working in.