Start learning from home today with online classes!
We know it’s a challenging time, but you don’t have to put your life on hold. At Sprott Shaw, new and incoming students can register through our online admissions process and start learning online with many of our programs. Through remote “face-to-face” instructor-led classes, students can experience interactive learning in the comfort and safety of their own homes. Contact us to learn more.
The two most recent labour market studies in BC have both come to the same conclusion – tourism in BC is a growth industry. There has been speculation that there will be an increase of about 100,000 new jobs by 2020 due to new jobs and current workers retiring. Although this is great news, it does pose some challenges, not the least of which is establishing a strategy to make sure that BC has enough skilled people in the right place at the right time.
If you are interested in working in the accommodation industry, positions as a front desk agent, housekeeper or bell person are great ways to get an introduction to this sector. Along with meeting people from around the world, these front-line staff members have the advantage of learning about the various aspects of the hotel business (and an opportunity to climb the corporate ladder).
For those who are more interested in being behind the scenes, the accommodation industry also requires workers for business and trade-related positions – including accountants, marketers, cooks, bakers and carpenters.
With thousands of events being hosted at BC properties each year – such as conferences, weddings, seminars and so on – the accommodation sector also requires sales, support and event staff. An integral part of any hotel team includes sales representatives, concierges, event coordinators and others who help bring business to the property and ensure all of the events run smoothly.
So, whether you’re interested in being on the front lines or behind the scenes, working at a mountain resort, wilderness campground or a cosmopolitan hotel in the heart of a bustling city – a career in this dynamic industry can definitely accommodate you.
This program offers AHLA (American Hotel and Lodging Association) certificates.
Strong computer knowledge would be highly recommended.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate leadership competencies
- Provide responsible and professional hospitality services
- Supervise front-of-the-house and back-of-the-house hotel and restaurant operations
- Analyze emerging hospitality industry trends and innovations
- Apply critical thinking and problem-solving techniques to make sound management decisions and recommendations
- Describe the role and scope of the tourism industry
- Describe and understand the five sectors of the tourism/hospitality industry and their economic impact
- Apply the principles and practices of guest and customer services
- Productively use industry software including SABRE
- Communicate effectively using various communication channels