This program is suited for Certified Early Childhood Educators wishing to expand their skills and specializations into Early Childhood Special Education.
This early childhood special education program gives the student the skills and occupational competencies necessary in the industry today based upon the Ministry for Children and Family Development approved curriculum for early childhood special education.
The program focuses on Children with Exceptionalities and involves working with children who require extra support in childcare settings. Graduates are able to expand their coverage to Birth to 5 years and are able to apply for an ECE Special Needs Educator License.
Sprott Shaw is a member of Early Childhood Educators of British Columbia (ECEBC).
At the end of this program the student will have developed a broad range of skills through the application and understanding of the following learning outcomes:
- Cultural, economic, and generational influences on development
- Main categories and methods of observational recording
- Current certifying and registration regulations, development of policies and procedures, floor plans, and childcare center design
- Development of partnerships with parents, colleagues, and other service providers
- Positive contemporary child guidance practices, causes and characteristics of inappropriate behaviour
- Planning and implementing comprehensive program plans, focusing on social, emotional, cognitive, physical, language and cultural development
- Activities to facilitate diversity and multi-cultural experiences and concepts to enhance the curriculum
- Creating a positive learning environment that includes fun and engaging music and movement activities, enhancing other learning such as language and language skills
- The use of concepts and activities from LEAP BC 2010
- Resource Booklet and recognizing movement categories and motor skills
- Creativity and open-ended, process-oriented creative art activities and experiences
- Verbal and non-verbal communication skills and techniques.
- Design newsletters and communication tools for parents, children and staff
- Signs and symptoms of common communicable childhood illnesses
- Goal setting, note-taking, problem-solving, and teamwork
Why Study Early Childhood Special Education At Sprott Shaw?
- Lifetime access to dedicated Employment Services Specialists (ESS) who can help you with resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, and the overall job search after graduation
- Lifetime tuition-free access to course refreshers if you ever need to retrain and update your skills
- Practicum opportunities with recognized organizations across BC
- Multiple start dates so you can start your education when you want to without the wait
- Career and professional development success courses to help create a career development marketing plan, learn the cardinal rules of professionalism, and identify the target markets and employment resources in the counselling field
- Preparation and orientation courses to teach you how to find credible research, write papers, create proper citation formats including APA, and study effectively for exams
- All-inclusive program costs where what you see is what you pay. Our costs include registration fees, assessment fees, tuition, textbooks, supplies, course materials, uniforms, certificates, graduation fees, practicum fees, and much more