- Grade 12 / GED or Mature Student Status
- ECE Basic Certification
- Applicants must successfully complete the admissions interview and may be required to do an entrance assessment (with a composite score of 42)
- Excellent communication skills (composition), signing a medical/criminal waiver, providing physician’s waiver, submitting a criminal record check (must be Public Safety & Solicitor General: Schedule B), and clear testing for TB (All must be done no more than three months before the start date of the program)
- Preference will be given to those who can provide letters of reference detailing volunteer or professional experience working with children indicating their suitability for working in the field of Early Childhood Education
- You will also need to have an interview with an instructor/director
- Applicants must provide evidence of full COVID-19 vaccination or have a signed vaccination waiver on file
Note: English level assessment will be required for international students (with a minimum score of 20/40 in language).
Before a Certificate to Practice is issued in a Post-Basic specialty, an applicant must first be certified as an Early Childhood Educator in British Columbia with the ECE Registry.
An Early Childhood Educator wishing to receive a certificate in either Infant/Toddler Post-Basic Education and/or Children with Exceptionalities Post-Basic Education should submit a current application form to the ECE Registry with the Ministry for Children and Family Development and include an official transcript of the relevant courses successfully completed, issued by Sprott Shaw College (photocopies not accepted). 70% average upon successful completion of all courses, including courses given a complete.
A Post-Basic diploma from Sprott Shaw College is given upon successful completion of the following:
- Basic Early Childhood Education Certificate program
- Post-Basic – Infant/Toddler Educator Certificate program
- Post-Basic – Children with Exceptionalities Educator Certificate program
- Child Care sites may require more current and/or additional CRC (for instance: RCMP) and TB testing (to be done at student’s expense) prior to practicum and/or observing
- Students are responsible for their own transportation
- Practicum sites are subject to availability.
* ECE Post-Basic Infant & Toddler Program was reviewed and approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
Students can expect to complete one to three hours of homework per day.