This program is suited for Certified Early Childhood Educators wishing to expand their skills and specializations to include childcare for infants and toddlers.
This program gives the student the skills and occupational competencies necessary in the industry today based on the Ministry of Education and Child Care approved curriculum.
The program focuses on Infants and Toddlers allowing graduates to expand their coverage from Birth to 5 years. Sprott Shaw is a member of Early Childhood Educators of British Columbia (ECEBC).
At the end of this program, the student will have developed a specialized set of skills required for childcare for infants through the application and understanding of the following learning outcomes:
- Cultural, economic, and generational influences on development
- Main categories and methods of observational recording
- Current certifying and registration regulations, development of policies and procedures, floor plans, and childcare center design
- Development of partnerships with parents, colleagues, and other service providers
- Positive contemporary child guidance practices, causes and characteristics of inappropriate behaviour
- Planning and implementing comprehensive program plans, focusing on social, emotional, cognitive, physical, language and cultural development
- Activities to facilitate diversity and multi-cultural experiences and concepts to enhance the curriculum
- Creating a positive learning environment that includes fun and engaging music and movement activities, enhancing other learning such as language and language skills
- The use of concepts and activities from LEAP BC 2010
- Resource Booklet and recognizing movement categories and motor skills
- Creativity and open-ended, process-oriented creative art activities and experiences
- Verbal and non-verbal communication skills and techniques.
- Design newsletters and communication tools for parents, children and staff
- Signs and symptoms of common communicable childhood illnesses
- Goal setting, note-taking, problem-solving, and teamwork
- Interview techniques and creating an employment package
Why ECE Childcare For Infants Study At Sprott Shaw?
- Lifetime access to dedicated Employment Services Specialists (ESS) who can help you with resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, and the overall job search after graduation
- Lifetime tuition-free access to course refreshers if you ever need to retrain and update your skills
- Practicum opportunities with recognized organizations across BC
- Multiple start dates so you can start your education when you want to without the wait
- Career and professional development success courses to help create a career development marketing plan, learn the cardinal rules of professionalism, and identify the target markets and employment resources in the counselling field
- Preparation and orientation courses to teach you how to find credible research, write papers, create proper citation formats including APA, and study effectively for exams
- All-inclusive program costs where what you see is what you pay. Our costs include registration fees, assessment fees, tuition, textbooks, supplies, course materials, uniforms, certificates, graduation fees, practicum fees, and much more
- Grant and scholarship opportunities are available to help you save on tuition. Up to $4000 in scholarships and grants are open to recent high school graduates, Sprott Shaw alumni, military veterans, and more! Click here to browse our full list of grants and scholarships.
Where Are Sprott Shaw Graduates Working?
Our Early Childhood, Education, and Support graduates can be found working throughout the province. In addition to school districts across BC, our Early Childhood Education and Education Assistant graduates can be found working at daycares and preschools such as CEFA Early Learning and the Boys and Girls Club.
Community Support Workers and Mental Health and Addiction workers can be found working in women’s shelters, mental health and addiction recovery facilities, homeless shelters, and more.
Click below to learn more about where our graduates are currently working. Please note that these lists do not cover every single business that has hired a Sprott Shaw graduate, but they do provide a good representation of the sort of industries that Sprott Shaw graduates are working in.