- Grade 12 (GED) or Mature Student Status.
- Applicants must successfully complete the admissions interview and entrance assessments with a minimum score of 20/40 in the English Assessment.
- Excellent communication skills (composition), signing a medical/criminal waiver, completing a health declaration form (or physician’s waiver), and submitting a criminal record check (must be Public Safety & Solicitor General: Schedule B). (All must be done no more than three months before the start date of the program).
- Provide evidence of full COVID-19 vaccination OR a signed vaccination waiver on file.
- For more information on English Language requirements and equivalencies please click here
- Domestic students that can provide a Canadian transcript showing completion of English 11 or 12 (or equivalent) with a passing grade of ‘C’, will be exempt from having to write the English Entrance Assessment.
- International students can meet the English requirement by completing or demonstrating one of the following four options:
- Sprott Shaw’s English Language Assessment, OR
- Minimum IELTS Score 5.5 overall or iBT TOEFL Score of 70 OR
- Equivalent Standardized External Assessment, OR
- Completion of an ESL program from one of SSC’s partnered ESL schools, OR
- International students that can provide a Canadian transcript (or evaluated credentials) showing completion of English 11 or 12 (or equivalent) with a passing grade of ‘C’, will be exempt from having to write the English Entrance Assessment.
- 70% average upon successful completion of all courses
- CPR, First Aid and FoodSafe will be completed during the program
Note: Successful completion of any of the following courses – EC100, EC110 or EC180 individually or as part of a program will allow the student to apply for assistant status. Successful completion of EC100 includes attendance of a minimum of 90 instructional/classroom hours to be eligible for this certificate.
Child Care sites may require more current and/or additional CRC (for instance: RCMP) and/or other immunizations (to be done at student’s expense) prior to practicum and/or observing. Students are responsible for their own transportation. Practicum sites are subject to availability.
Practicum training may be conducted in shifts to accommodate placement facilities’ needs (such as 8-hour shifts). Necessary Ministry licensing requirements will be included in the curriculum and scheduled throughout the program.
Work Experience / Clinical Requirements:
Please note certain facilities may require proof of a negative TB test. Without this documentation on the student file, it may limit practicum placement opportunities.
- ECCFACP Emergency Child Care First Aid and CPR Level C (1 day) (Comp/Inc).
Students can expect to complete 1 – 3 hours of homework per day.
* Early Childhood Education Assistant was reviewed and approved by the Private
Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Post-Secondary
Education and Future Skills.