This program is suited for Licensed Early Childhood Educators wishing to expand their skills and specializations with a diploma in early childhood education.
This program gives the student the skills and occupational competencies necessary in the industry today based upon the Ministry of Education and Child Care-approved curriculum.
Students will develop a broad range of skills through the study and practice of our certified and approved courses so they will be able to develop and lead daily activities for children. They will be able to carefully select age-appropriate materials for young children and develop programs and activities for the important early years of learning.
They will become nurturing and understanding Caregivers/Educators, who will implement these carefully selected materials and activities to help promote the social, emotional, physical, cognitive and early literacy development in each child. Some of these exciting activities include storytelling and fingerplays, music and movement, songs and games, creative arts and crafts, science and nature opportunities, along with many other activities that support children’s development and learning through play.
They also observe children and communicate professionally, when appropriate, children’s progress and/or needs with parents, other staff members and individuals involved with the child’s development. They attend meetings, workshops and professional development opportunities to continue their learning and progress as competent and qualified Early Childhood Educators. They may also supervise and coordinate the activities of other Early Childhood Educators and ECE Assistants.
Delivery Method: In-Class Instruction and Distance Education (Synchronous and Asynchronous).
At the end of this program the student will have developed a broad range of skills through the application and understanding of the following learning outcomes:
- Cultural, economic, and generational influences on development
- Main categories and methods of observational recording
- Current licensing and registration regulations, development of policies and procedures, floor plans, and child care center design
- Development of partnerships with parents, colleagues, and other service providers
- Positive contemporary child guidance practices, causes and characteristics of inappropriate behaviour
- Planning and implementing comprehensive program plans, focusing on social, emotional, cognitive, physical, language and cultural development
- Activities to facilitate diversity and multi-cultural experiences and concepts to enhance curriculum
- Creating a positive learning environment that includes fun and engaging music and movement activities, enhancing other learning such as language and language skills
- Creativity and open-ended, process-oriented creative art activities and experiences
- Verbal and non-verbal communication skills and techniques.
- Design newsletters and communication tools for parents, children and staff
- Signs and symptoms of common communicable childhood illnesses
- Goal setting, note taking, problem solving, and team work
- Interview techniques and creating an employment package
Why Study at Sprott Shaw?
- Lifetime access to dedicated Employment Services Specialists (ESS) who can help you with resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, and the overall job search after graduation
- Lifetime tuition-free access to course refreshers if you ever need to retrain and update your skills
- Practicum opportunities with recognized organizations across BC
- Multiple start dates so you can start your education when you want to without the wait
- Career and professional development success courses to help create a career development marketing plan, learn the cardinal rules of professionalism, and identify the target markets and employment resources in the counselling field
- Preparation and orientation courses to teach you how to find credible research, write papers, create proper citation formats including APA, and study effectively for exams
- All-inclusive program costs where what you see is what you pay. Our costs include registration fees, assessment fees, tuition, textbooks, supplies, course materials, uniforms, certificates, graduation fees, practicum fees, and much more
- Grant and scholarship opportunities are available to help you save on tuition. Up to $4000 in scholarships and grants are open to recent high school graduates, Sprott Shaw alumni, military veterans, and more! Click here to browse our full list of grants and scholarships
- “It was a memorable experience for me from the first day I met the advisor, instructor, and classmates. It was a healthy environment. Supporting, encouraging, caring, and there was a natural feeling of understanding and diversity.” – Intira M.
- “You will finish your program feeling prepared, supported, and ready to move into this career. They will help you from day one until you land the job you want! Highly, highly recommend.” – Jen R.
- “Sprott Shaw College has helped me establish my teaching career in Canada. Instructors are very helpful and continue to give support in all areas.” – Nathalie L.
Related ECE Programs: