An Education Assistant supports all students in classroom environments and performs duties that are instructional in nature or deliver direct services to students or parents.
Education Assistants work with teachers to support students with exceptionalities, and this support may include behaviour management, curriculum implementation, social skills development, personal care and physical/medical assistance.
The Education Assistant works under the direction of classroom teachers, resource teachers and principals and gives special attention to students with physical, learning or emotional needs by implementing individualized or group instruction in communication skills, life skills, behavioural management techniques and adaptive physical education.
They assist in the modification of curriculum, assignments and tests to accommodate diverse learners.
An Education Assistant may attend to and provide personal assistance to students in toileting, positioning, mobility, feeding, grooming and dressing, as well as assist in transferring students to and from wheelchairs, desks, special equipment and work areas.
NOTE: Students have the option of taking two 90 hour practicums (EA200 and EA210) or one 180 hour practicum (EA220) to fulfill the program work experience hours
Education Assistant Program Learning Objectives
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Effectively support and advocate inclusionary practices for all students Kindergarten to grade 12 presenting with a wide range of abilities
- Use appropriate technology to support students presenting with a wide range of abilities
- Apply practical knowledge of adapted and modified materials to transfer a students Individual Education Plans (IEP) into appropriate and meaningful activities
- Support a work atmosphere of team collaboration with teachers, parents and students
- Learn about their role as a paraprofessional utilizing their communication skills and understanding boundaries and professionalism
Why Study At Sprott Shaw?
- Lifetime access to dedicated Employment Services Specialists (ESS) who can help you with resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, and the overall job search after graduation
- Lifetime tuition-free access to course refreshers if you ever need to retrain and update your skills
- Practicum opportunities with recognized organizations across BC
- Multiple start dates so you can start your education when you want to without the wait
- Career and professional development success courses to help create a career development marketing plan, learn the cardinal rules of professionalism, and identify the target markets and employment resources in the counselling field
- Preparation and orientation courses to teach you how to find credible research, write papers, create proper citation formats including APA, and study effectively for exams
- All-inclusive program costs where what you see is what you pay. Our costs include registration fees, assessment fees, tuition, textbooks, supplies, course materials, uniforms, certificates, graduation fees, practicum fees, and much more