Learn from Home!
During this challenging period, we are now offering an online admissions process and the opportunity to start learning online in many of our programs. Through remote “face-to-face” instructor-led classes, students will experience interactive learning in the comfort and safety of your home. Contact us to find out more.
Education Assistants support all students in classroom environments and perform duties that are instructional in nature or deliver direct services to students or parents. They work with teachers to support students with exceptionalities, and this support may include behaviour management, curriculum implementation, social skills development, personal care and physical/medical assistance.
The Education Assistant works under the direction of classroom teachers, resource teachers and principals and gives special attention to students with physical, learning or emotional needs by implementing individualized or group instruction in communication skills, life skills, behavioural management techniques and adaptive physical education. They assist in modification of curriculum, assignments and tests to accommodate diverse learners. Education Assistants may attend to and provide personal assistance to students in toileting, positioning, mobility, feeding, grooming and dressing, as well as assist in transferring students to and from wheelchairs, desks, special equipment and work areas.
NOTE: Students have the option of taking two 90 hour practicums (EA200 and EA210) or one 180 hour practicum (EA220) to fulfill the program work experience hours
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
• Effectively support and advocate inclusionary practices for all students Kindergarten to grade 12 presenting with a wide range of abilities
• Use appropriate technology to support students presenting with a wide range of abilities
• Apply practical knowledge of adapted and modified materials to transfer a students Individual Education Plans (IEP) into appropriate and meaningful activities
• Support a work atmosphere of team collaboration with teachers, parents and students
• Learn about their role as a paraprofessional utilizing their communication skills and understanding boundaries and professionalism
70% average upon successful completion of all courses.
CPR, First Aid, Crisis Prevention (CPI Certified) and FoodSafe will be completed during the program.